Lessons from Mary Poppins  

Posted by Sarah Forbes in

I just finished watching Mary Poppins with my young'uns. It never ceases to amaze me the misplaced priorities represented in Disney's movies. However, I had not noticed before in the older movies.

It struck me that in Mary Poppins, the one person who was not expected to spend time with the children was their own mother, Mrs. Winnifred Banks. Feminism at work again. Subtle. But present. After all, she was busy with important work: the liberation of women from the dominion of men!


My children actually identified this before I did by remarking "She's not a very good mommy, is she?"

My children continually amaze me.

This entry was posted at Friday, August 19, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment